Te Poutama Ārahi Rangatahi is a Christchurch-based, comprehensive, integrated residential treatment programme for boys aged 12–16 with at-risk behaviour. The young people we work with are all referred to the service by Oranga Tamariki.
We provide their day-to-day care, education and therapeutic assistance on-site to help them
- understand the reasons for their behaviour
- make the changes they need to be safe
- develop their education and life skills so they have the best chance to be successful adults.
During the programme, we also provide a wide range of experiences designed to extend and challenge our young people. We
- help them discover their strengths and capabilities
- support them to develop new skills and abilities
- teach them about their own and others' cultures
- encourage them to find new interests including sports, music and other hobbies.
Our aim always is to help them return to their community in a safe and positive way. We involve their family and other support agencies throughout their time with us to ensure they can return to a safe, stable and supportive environment.
Our team comes from a range of professions. It includes managers, social workers and residential youth workers who work with families and whanau and a wide variety of community providers.
All referrals to this service are made through Oranga Tamariki.