What training will I get?
We provide comprehensive training which you need to complete before you become a foster parent. It lasts for around 16 hours, and we run at least four courses a year. The modules include:
- Understanding abuse
- Grief, loss and change
- Child development
- Behaviour management
- Family/whānau dynamics
- Legal issues
- Safe caring
- Child safety
For those carers solely interested in permanency, there is a further full day’s training after the generic foster care training and home assessments have been completed.
- About fostering
- Can anyone become a foster carer?
- What does being a foster parent involve?
- How do I become a foster carer?
- What kinds of care can I offer to children?
- What about the children?
- Why foster with Barnardos?
- What training will I get?
- What financial support will I receive?
- I am very interested, what do I do now?
- A caregiver’s story
"Because children do not vote, it is easy for politicians to ignore their interests, but they can't ignore us when we speak for children."