Why foster with Barnardos?
- Each Barnardos foster family has an allocated social worker to provide information, support and regular visits
- Our small team means that even if your worker isn’t available, you’ll be able to speak to someone who knows you and knows about the child in your care
- We provide 24/7 emergency phone support
- As an established child and family services provider we are able to draw on other arms of the agency to support our foster carers.
- You’ll receive a board payment to cover general expenses of having a child or young person in your care. The rate of reimbursement depends on the age of the child or young person.
- We liaise with CYFS on your behalf
- We give you access to free, ongoing training
- We arrange free, fun events several times a year for foster families and children.
- About fostering
- Can anyone become a foster carer?
- What does being a foster parent involve?
- How do I become a foster carer?
- What kinds of care can I offer to children?
- What about the children?
- Why foster with Barnardos?
- What training will I get?
- What financial support will I receive?
- I am very interested, what do I do now?
- A caregiver’s story
"It is very disquieting just how many New Zealand children are born into a hostile world of deprivation and abuse. That is why I have included Barnardos in my Will, to help them in their work of giving such children a chance in life."
- Rena Dalley, Bequestor